Tuesday 24 March 2009

EVALUATION

My media product uses forms and conventions of real media products. The first convention that is used is the music used in the beginning. This is because the music is very quiet and you cant really hear much then suddenly the music goes harder and louder which makes the audiences hearts race because they know that something is going to happen but they don’t know what. So it keeps the audience engaged which will make them watch the whole film instead of getting bored. For example when we done a close-up shot of the child’s face we put the pitch of the music up and we also put a screaming voice in so it stuns the audience when they least expect it. Another element that we used which is usually used in real thrillers is the camera shots. The camera shots we used were mostly point of view shots to show what Ben was looking at. We also used close-up shots to show emphasis on a character or an object. Ben was dressed formally to show that he is a much older and sophisticated person; on the other hand we dressed Leon in dark clothes and a hoody as these clothes represent evil or a dark side. we also put my gloves on Leon which made him look inhuman. The location we chose was Priory Park, which is set near a few gravestones. This gave the park a sinister look which made the location perfect to film in. The devilish graffiti on the walls behind the swings worked well to create a scary atmosphere.

My media product represents people that are interested in spooky mysterious things. my media product will attract these people because my film is very mysterious and you never know what is going to happen. The characters are also very mysterious as the audience don’t know who Leon (the ghost) is, the only thing that they know is that he is a mysterious inhuman creature. There are only two characters in my film which is Ben (the man) and Leon (the ghost).

I would want my movie to be a big Hollywood blockbuster and get lots of media attention. it should be distributed across the world not just England. my film should be first released in cinemas like ‘CineWorld’, it should be later released on DVD and blue ray.

The audience for my media product would be middle class young adults or teenagers aged between 15 and 25. A typical person that would fit the characteristics of my target audience is ‘Jack aged 17 who goes to college and loves watching horror and thriller films. In his free time he goes to the cinemas with his friends to watch a movie’.

My film should be a big Hollywood blockbuster so I would attract my audience by having a well known actor starring in the film. I would advertise my film on channels such as film four, sky movies etc. The trailer should be shown every 30 minutes so that my film gets as many viewers as possible. I will also advertise on billboards and put promotions on McDonalds such as two tickets for the price of one with every Big Mac.

I have learnt a lot about technologies from the process of constructing my thriller trailer. Firstly on the hands-on-level, i experienced how to use a camera and film from different angles. I also learnt how to use the different functions on the camera such as the on and off button also the forward/rewind functions. We were also taught how to use different effects such as black and white, sepia etc. I also learnt how to use Final cut pro which is a programme that we used in order to edit our film. I learnt how to log and capture my footage and upload it onto the computer. After logging and capturing i put all the clips together and it started to look more and more like a real thriller opening. I also tried out some transitions even though we didn’t use it in the opening because we thought that transitions would make the opening look more like a music video. We added titles and credits using Final Cut pro. We also put soundtrack into the film. For example we created footsteps noises when a character was walking and a dropping noise when the man drops the teddy on the floor.

I also learnt how to use blogger to leave a blog of what we covered/done every day of the filming process. For this i had to use the internet so most of the evaluating process was done on the internet. I was taught how to upload our film onto the internet (blogger). We had to upload our videos onto our blog so that we could talk about the film while it could be viewed at the same time. The internet allowed my film to have more viewers as the internet is accessible by everyone.

We did match cutting exercises on the computer where we had to put a few clips together in chronological order showing one movement from lots of different angles. This helped me because we had to do match cutting in our thriller opening in order to get more marks and make the thriller look more exciting. I learnt that making a storyboard before making the film is really important so that we know exactly what to film and where to film. During our practice videos we had to do a storyboard before we started filming, which helped a lot because we didn’t know what we were doing half the time so we just went back to the storyboard to see what we were missing. I’ve learnt that it is best to plan before filming as i have learnt from my mistakes because my group lost our storyboard and we found it very hard to film as we didn’t know what we were doing.

No comments: