Saturday 28 February 2009

Preliminary film - comments

My second practice filming was successful in developing the brief into a short film full of a variety of shot distances and shooting material appropriate to the task, including a match cut but was weak in areas of the 180 degree rule and soundtrack.

Between my first and second practice film, I have learned that sound does enhance a film and does help emphasis the mood of characters and atmosphere. Also, I have learned the technique of match cutting on how it gives a variety to types of shots and shows different points of view to one continuous activity. Furthermore, I have learned the 180 degree rule helps not to make the film appear strange or confuse the audience in the process of any type of activity or converastion on one 180 degree side. I learned how to use a new software 'Soundtrack Pro' which is used to develop sounds and music for non-diagetic background sounds.

I feel in some aspects I have followed the forms and conventions of real films. In the aspect of light, I merely used the source of the lightbulb and did not care of the different lightings. I just thought that if the charcter could be seen in the shot that was fine. In the aspect of camerawork, alot of thought had to be concentrated on teh camerawork to give variety and stucture. The c amera work was nessarsary to make the film amke sense and to amke it appear more liek a real film. In teh aspect of mise en scene, my group was put into a free empty random room and had to make do with what we was given, so we used whatever was in teh room and filmed. In the aspect of editing, alot of time was need for this as structure was needed for the final filming to amke sense to for it to have a narritive and a story. Also the editing was a longer process than our first film because of the involvment of soundtrack.

I do not think the final practice piece shows any sort of representation of a certain kind.

No comments: